Plant Based Bariatrics is a subgroup of BariAthletes to educate bariatric patients on how to meet their nutritional needs while following a plant based diet.
A plant based diet is made up of foods primarily coming from plant origins and less from animals. Not only are plant based diets better for the environment, many health care providers are encouraging plant based diets because of the following:
- Reduced inflammation
- Reduced risk of cancer
- Reduced risk of heart disease
- Improved blood sugar levels
- Weight loss
- Healthier gut flora
- Improved immune system
Many clients and athletes feel more energized when following a more plant based diet. Improved performance and quicker recoveries can also be seen.
One of the great things about plant based nutrition is that it is inclusively focused. This means we look at how can we ADD more whole fruits and vegetables and other plant based foods to the menu rather than what foods we can take out.
Some have concerns around getting adequate protein, iron, calcium, vitamin D, and B12. However; diets that include beans, nuts, seeds, a variety of fruits and dark leaf greens can help to assure you are getting adequate protein, vitamins and minerals. In addition, your bariatric supplements should suffice in meeting your nutritional needs and you should not have to take extra supplements.
For most people, transitioning to a plant based diet takes time, it is not an overnight fix. Usually the slower the transition, the more long term success you will have with it because it is shown to be more of a lifestyle change rather than a fad diet. Many of the health benefits are seen in those who may not be 100% vegan, but still following more of a plant based diet and less animal based. Every little bit counts!
Here are several ways to easily transition into a more plant based diet:
- Have one meatless meal a week and build from that.
- Start to eliminate animal foods you don’t already eat all that often.
- Transition from an omnivore to flexitarian, to pescatarian to lacto/ovo vegetarian to vegan over time.
Great Webinar To Get You Started:
Plant Based Education Package
This downloadable education package is designed to help answer your questions about plant based diets. You will receive the following:
- Recorded webinar: Plant Based Bariatrics
- Benefits from eating plant based
- Plant based protein sources
- Phytonutrient color chart
- Cooking substitution handout
- Sample meal plan for a day
- 3 plant based recipes with nutrient analysis