With October being National Breast Cancer Awareness Month it is a great opportunity to learn more about how to naturally prevent and treat the disease. Breast cancer is one of the cancers that has been strongly linked to diet. Below are a couple of tips to help reduce the risk of developing breast cancer.
Cut the saturated fat. Diets high in saturated fat and low in fiber and nutrients have been associated with higher cancer rates. Many animal sources of protein contain saturated fat and the form of iron (heme) that are beginning to be linked to cancer growth. When eating animal sources of protein, choose leaner cuts of meats and lower fat dairy products.
Eat more plants. Phytochemicals are properties in plants that help defend it within nature. When we eat plants (fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes) we obtain the similar defense system. These phytochemicals help boost our immune system to protect from carcinogenic agents. A more plant based diet also tends to be higher in fiber, antioxidants and vitamin and minerals which further strengthens the immune system.
Soy contains phytoestrogens which is a naturally weak estrogen that may protect against breast cancer growth. We encourage less processed soy foods like edamame, miso, tempeh, soy milk and tofu. However, it is recommended to avoid soy if the diagnosis is the estrogen receptor positive type of breast cancer.
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 can (19 oz) lentils, rinsed
- ½ cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 gloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- ⅓ cup cilantro
- Juice of half a lemon
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ lb crimini mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- In a saucepan, combine quinoa and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil and simmer about 10 minutes. Let quinoa cool.
- In a bowl, combine half the lentils, bread crumbs, egg, garlic, cumin, cilantro, lemon juice, cooked quinoa, and salt and pepper to taste. Place in a food processor or blender; process until well combined. Add remaining lentils and walnuts; pulse until they're incorporated. Form into 6 patties.
- Preheat grill to medium. Meanwhile, melt butter in skillet over medium heat; add sliced mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Stir in wine and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Brush burgers with oil and cook for 4 minutes per side. Toast buns for 2 minutes. Serve burgers on buns and top with sautéed mushrooms.